Movie Fan Alexa Skill
Are you a movie lover? Do you observe little things in movies that make these memorable or do you love to learn more about movies? Then this game is for you. Play either of the following game types.
- Quiz: Test your movie knowledge.
- Facts: Learn some interesting and less commonly known facts.
The game keeps track of your score for as long as you are playing the quiz.
Note: We are currently supporting Bollywood (Hindi) movies only (see the Movie List). We will continue to add more movies periodically and we also plan to add support for movies in other languages.
How to play?
Movie Fan is really easy to play and it can be played on any Amazon Alexa enabled device (including the FREE Alexa mobile app). Use the following commands to get started. Say help (highly recommended for the first time players) at any point to get a quick guide of the game.
- Enable the Movie Fan Alexa Skill.
- Start the game.
orAlexa, play movie fan
Note: The game will begin with a message – Welcome to Movie Fan. If you do not hear this, make sure you have entered the right Alexa skill.Alexa, open movie fan
- Specify a movie name (see the Movie List).
- Choose whether you would like to take a quiz about the movie or learn some interesting facts.
Note: When playing quiz, say repeat to repeat the question and hold to wait for some time.facts
- To respond to a quiz question, simply say the following.
As easy as that! The game gives you an opportunity to continue playing and it also tracks your score across all rounds for a game session. So, what are you waiting for? Take your movie skills for a ride!
Following is the list of commands and their purpose.
|cancel or stop||It prompts to stop the game.|
||It tells some interesting facts about the specified movie.|
|give up||It reveals the correct answer.|
|help||It tells a quick help and highly recommended for the first time players.|
|hold||It pauses the game for a few seconds.|
||It is used to select a movie. For example, movie andaz apna apna.|
||It is used to respond to a quiz question. For example, option 1.|
||It starts a quiz with random questions about the specified movie.|
|repeat||It repeats the question.|
|score||It tells the current score.|
You may find the following shortcuts useful, especially once you have mastered the basic game usage.
|Alexa||Say Alexa any time to interrupt the game or when Alexa is speaking.||
|tell movie fan movie movie||A quick way to directly open the game with the specified movie.||tell movie fan movie 2.0|
How do I add the Movie Fan skill to Alexa?
Follow these simple steps.
- If you already have an Amazon account, enable the Movie Fan Alexa Skill and follow the steps to grant permissions.
- If you do not have an Amazon account, follow these steps.
- Select your preferred country on Amazon’s site.
- Select Your Orders->Start here and go through the screens to complete the account registration.
Note: The sign up process may prompt you to enter the credit or debit card details. Please provide valid information. The basic Amazon account sign up is FREE.
- Once your account has been validated, enable the Movie Fan Alexa Skill and follow the steps to grant permissions.
What devices can I play this game on?
It is recommended to play Movie Fan on one of the Amazon Echo devices for a more optimal experience. However, you can also play the game on the FREE Amazon Alexa mobile app (iOS | Android). If you are looking for recommendations on the Amazon devices, check out our recommended Amazon devices.
What’s the best way to begin playing?
Movie Fan is really simple to play. Following is the recommended way to get started.
- Say play movie fan or open movie fan to start the game.
- When you begin the game, it will prompt you to say help for a quick guide and specify a movie. We highly recommend for the first time players to go through the help. It’s quick and will improve your gaming experience.
- Once you specify a movie, it will prompt you with a to choose a game type from quiz or facts.
- For quiz, respond to question with option number.
- For facts, the game will tell you one random fact at a time. You can simply keep saying ‘Yes’ to learn more facts or ‘No’ to exit.
- Like many other Alexa skills, be patient and speak clearly when playing.
That’s it! The game will keep track of your score when playing quiz and tell you the score at the end of each round.
Which movies and languages are supported?
Movie Fan currently supports Bollywood (Hindi) movies only. Check out our Movie List. We will continue to add more movies and we do have plans to add support for movies in other languages as well.
How do I say the movie name?
Please see the Utterance column in the Movie List to say the movie name correctly.
How do I request to add a movie to the list?
Please send us feedback to request a movie to be added to the list. We will try our best to handle an appropriate request at the earliest. In general, we recommend to request the popular or commonly known movies. But, there are always those rare gems that can be added as exceptions.
I said ‘Movie Fan’ correctly. But, Alexa does not understand it or it seems to be starting some other game. How do I fix this?
This problem typically happens due to Alexa not interpreting speech to the correct text. This is not something that we can control directly. The Movie Fan game will begin with a message – Welcome to Movie Fan. If you do not hear this message or Alexa starts a different skill, please do the following.
- Say cancel to exit the current game or skill.
- Say play movie fan or open movie fan slowly and clearly to see if that helps.
- If this does not help, please send us feedback.
Alexa does not understand what I am saying although I am saying the correct thing. How do I fix this?
We apologize for any inconvenience. An important part of playing any voice enabled game is for the device to be able to interpret voice to text correctly. This is all managed by the Alexa service and we do not have direct control over it. Having said that, please try following these guidelines.
- Speak slowly and clearly. You do not have to sound unnatural, but speaking bit more clearly may help.
- At times, it could be a difference of accent. Remember that your Alexa device (or App) is configured for a specific language, such as, English US. So, if it is not able to understand your speech, try speaking in the language accent and see if that resolves the issue.
- Based on our experience, here are some other common causes that can be easily fixed.
- At times, users try to give answer without the correct command (or utterance as it is understood by Alexa). For example, you may say the movie name without the ‘movie’ command and Alexa may not handle the request correctly. So, please try to follow the simple commands as stated in this document and that should take care of this issue.
- If the user starts talking while Alexa was speaking, there is a good chance that it may miss part of your speech. This is a simple issue that can be fixed by either of the following ways.
- Be patient, let Alexa finish and then speak.
- Interrupt Alexa by saying ‘Alexa’ and making sure it has paused. You can now continue with your speech.
- If you still continue to run into this issue on a consistent basis, please send us feedback.
Is it a paid game?
Movie Fan is a free game and it does not contain any advertisements.
Who can play this game?
Movie Fan is targeted for all age groups. It is a really simple and fun game that you can play individually or as a group.
Is this game kid safe?
Yes, the game is kid safe. We try our best to filter out any inappropriate content and we update it from time to time. If you come across any inappropriate content, please send us feedback.
How does the game score and how can I find my score?
Movie Fan uses simple scoring. You get 1 point for each correct answer and there is no negative marking. It will automatically tell you the score at the end of each round. In addition, you can always say score to find out your current score.
Do you store the score across multiple games?
At this point, Movie Fan does not store the score across multiple game sessions. However, it does track score within the same session. So, as long as you are playing the game, it will continue to track the score.
I think I said the correct answer. But, it still says wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?
Alexa Skills use Natural Language Processing (NLP), which at times may not be able to understand the accent or the way the answer was pronounced. They continue to make improvements in this area. But, you may run into this issue. Try pronouncing the answer differently a few times and see if that helps. If you experience this quite frequently, please send us feedback.
Can I just keep playing the game and see how high I can score across all the rounds?
Absolutely. At the end of each round, the game will prompt you to continue. You can continue playing the same level or even choose a different level. The game will keep track of score and tell you the total score till that point at the end of each round.
This is a standard Alexa skill behavior and is not specific to Movie Fan. It is prompting you to give permission because the game can be played by children under the age of 13. In order to give permissions, go to the home screen of the Alexa app on your mobile and follow the instructions to give permissions. If that does not work for some reason or as an alternate way, follow these simple steps.
- Go to the Parental Consent Portal and login with the same Amazon account in which you have the Amazon Echo registered.
- Choose an appropriate profile from the list and follow the steps shown on the screen to grant permissions.
- Wikipedia for some of the movies related content.